Q1. Describe what Systems Analysis and design is. What are the major goals and objectives?
Definition: Information System Analysis and Design is method to develop and maintain the system that perform basic business functions. The analysis and design are mainly base on understanding business objectives and processes.
Goal: The overall goal of System Analysis is to study procedural components and modules. The goal of System Designis to design whole software, which fulfils all the requirements of customer.This leads to improve organizational systems, by applying software, which helps employees to perform business, tasks more effectively.
Example: ‘Banking’– Earlier days all the processes of banks used to done manually or through paper work which was time-consuming. While nowadays with the help of new technology and proper analysis and design, everyone can do banking transactions easily and faster.
Objectives: 1) To determine specific needs of system.
2) Discuss approaches and tasks of system.
3) Evaluate tools and techniques.
4) Use appropriate methods and techniques to design software.
Q2. Choose three sources of software. Describe the sources and explain why a project might use each source.
Answer: The three sources of software are:
- Information Technology Services Firms,
- Cloud Computing,
- Open-Source Software.
- Information Technology Services Firms:
- When a company needs information system but does not have enough resources or expertise to develop system on its own and not suitable for off-the-shelf system, Information Technology Service Firms help to develop customized information system.
- IT service firms helps in developing, hosting and running applications.
- Firm consultants use many of the same processes, methods, tools and techniques that companies use to develop in-house systems.
- The examples of such IT firms are IBM, HP, Accenture, Wipro, Infosys and more…
REASONS TO CHOOSE Information Technology service Firms:
- Latest technology can be use through outsourcing company to IT service firms.
- Internal staff of company may have limited resources available with them while IT service staff can have many multiple resources available which increases Productivity as well as Flexibility.
- Cloud Computing:
- Cloud Computing refers to provision of applications where software is license and maintain by third party.
- Customers can use software through virtual private networks or Internet.
- Most popular example of cloud computing is Google Apps and Microsoft.
- Helps in maintaining hardware and software systems more effectively.
- Data can be retrieve easily through just setting connections to Internet.
REASONS TO CHOOSE Cloud Computing:
- Cost structure of cloud computing is more flexible than traditional methods.
- Accessing speed of software can be increase.
- Once storing data/information on cloud server, we can access data from anywhere and at any time.
- Open-Source Software:
- The software in which source code is freely available is likely to be termed as OPEN-SOURCE software.
- Source code of open-source software can be easily modify by anyone.
- Such software’s are developed and maintain by group of people.
REASONS TO CHOOSE Open-Source Software:
- Open source software can be easily customize as per user requirement.
- When company faces costs issues in arranging software, Open-Source Software is best option to take.
- Best example of open source software is Linux and Firewall.
Q3. Explain in your own words how you would convince your client to taking on custom software development vs. consider purchasing an off-the-shelf software solution.
Custom Software Development: The software, which is design and develop for some specific purpose for user or company.
Off-the-shelf Software: They are the software, which can be purchase and are ready to use for public.
E.g. Microsoft Office.
- Basically, it is a Build or Buy choice for organization (whether to build custom software or to purchase off-the shelf software). No doubt, Off-the-shelf software are initially good in saving time and money but later on they are quite difficult to manage and customize as they are bound with their rigid features while on other hand Custom Software Development requires high cost for the development but at the same time they are more flexible in compare to off-the-shelf software’s as Custom Software’s can be transform as per changing requirements of business or client.
- Many times, it happens that we have to pay for the features, which are of no use to client or firm in Off-the-shelf software, so instead of paying money for unwanted features it is better to invest that amount in developing Custom Software.
- Hence, Custom Software is long-term benefit while Off-The-Shelf is short-term benefit.
References: Textbook (Essential of System Analysis and Design).
Power point slides.
Cite This Work
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below:
Related ServicesView all
DMCA / Removal Request
If you are the original writer of this essay and no longer wish to have your work published on UKEssays.com then please: